Nice game! What engine did you use to create this game? :3
A downloadable game for Windows and Linux
Kitten Command is a Mario fangame inspired loosely by Missile Command. You control a cat, wielding a gun, and need to stop agents of the Koopa Kingdom from invading your home! Originally developed as a "Secret Santa" present for someone in a Mario fangame community.
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Nice game, aesthetically appealing and well made! I got 48980 points :D
I don't think my space bar forgives me though.....
I played on windows with python 3.4.3 and it works fine so long as I run it from IDLE, but have you considered using a py to exe compiler for windows distributions so there's no need for dependencies? Might be useful for reaching a wider audience who aren't usually used to installing those :P
I used to use cx_Freeze, but that hasn't worked for me the last couple of years and the no one on the cx_Freeze mailing list was able to help, so I gave up on it. (It makes an executable that doesn't work for various inexplicable reasons, usually Pygame not recognizing the existence of a file IIRC.) I don't even bother writing setup.py files for games these days.
It doesn't help either that Windows is needed to build Windows executables, which means I always have to borrow someone else's computer to make one this way. It would be much nicer if I could do it from Wine or otherwise from a GNU/Linux system.
Perhaps I should try py2exe, see if that gives better results.
EDIT: Nah, py2exe is even worse: it doesn't even successfully create an executable.
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me find a better way, though. Actually, what I would really like is to copy what Ren'Py does, but I haven't been able to find any documentation on that.
If you want I could make you a working windows executable for the game, however this would involve modifying a couple lines of code in kitten_command.py and sge\gfx.py, which I'm not sure I have permission to do :|
Why wouldn't you have permission? All of the software is libre. Kitten Command is under the GNU GPL, and the SGE Game Engine is under the GNU LGPL.
So I take it you've figured out what the problem is? I'd really like to know! :)
Sorry for leaving you hanging, I've been really busy recently :P
Anyway, so essentially the problem is that when compiled, some of the python directory commands see its own executable as part of the filepath, so instead of looking in the 'data' folder for some assets, it looks in 'kitten_command.exe\\data'. I tried many different ways of incorporating the files directly into the executable, but sadly I couldn't get that working properly so instead just hardcoded a workaround into the lines of code that load files and such.
I might make a video to show and explain everything if I can get around to it, but in the meantime here's a working compiled exe.
It's not perfect however; renaming the exe will prevent it from working .___.
I doubt I'm the best person to help with this though; I've never even used a pygame engine before (sge), as I didn't really know they were a thing and just coded my own :P
Anyway, have fun!
Well, that's odd...
I'd rather not distribute a hacked solution such as this, mainly because if there are updates in the future I don't want the solution to no longer work and to have to switch back and forth between methods. That's a major headache. But thanks for pointing out the source of the problem. Maybe some day I can aspire to have it working normally again.